Tuesday, June 21, 2011

An Introduction to Creative Zaniosity...

Welcome to my inaugural posting! Ackoft and Vergara said something to the effect that creativity is the ability to modify self-imposed constraints. Turns out that one of my own self imposed constraints was not putting my words out to the masses (i.e. you) unless I had "something worthwhile" to say. It was always easier for me to share pictures or music instead of words, both things I will continue to do. Recently, however, I stumbled my way into a fantastic creative community (you all know who you are!) and realized that I had all sorts of worthwhile nuggets zipping around my in grey matter. As such, I find myself starting Creative Zaniosity, a place for me to share some of the zaniosity that goes on in my head. I'm confident it’s going to be a good ride and I hope you can take something from it - big or small. All are welcome, please share with likeminded souls.

What will I be writing about? Hard to say, I'll let my internal voice manifest itself and whatever tumbles out my fingers will show up on the screen. I can tell you that I will suspend judgement, embrace ambiguity, make cryptic remarks and lay out metaphors that, if nothing else, make sense to me. Oh, and I'll be moving past my own self-imposed constraints...and hope I'll learn something about myself along the way.

Pablo Neruda said that laughter is the language of the soul...that being said, I'll recount a short story for you. It was a sunny Saturday, my first day home in a while, and I was out grabbing some breakfast and a delicious coffee whilst catching up on some reading. As I wandered along the street I saw a couple, say in their mid-fifties, in front of the local hardware store. They were holding each other and sharing what appeared to be quite the delightful kiss (note - I did not say passionate, ardent or deep...). As I strolled by, I let out a respectful wolf-whistle. Respectful, you ask? Well - it was quiet and clearly directed towards them, a gentle acknowledgement of the fun moment they were experiencing. The thoughts going through my head were as follows - I should just ignore them - some folks might not enjoy this sight - some might say 'get a room!' and so on. As soon as the last note left my lips I heard them both burst into laughter! I didn't look back to acknowledge that it was me but it sure sounded like they enjoyed the attention and in all honesty, it felt as though I made their day a bit brighter then it already was. If nothing else, it most definitively put a spring in my step and made me smile inside!

Proust says that the real voyage of self discovery consists not of seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. This experience was just a recent one that underscores the value of having a positive, unbiased and open-minded perspective on things. Suspending judgement and interacting with life as it moves all around us can be a fantastic thing!

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I liked - your story made my brain smile a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, can I just say I love that you used the word "whilst"?

    And what a pleasure it is to read your thoughts. It makes up, a tiny bit, for not being able to hang out and talk in person.

    ReplyDelete